The aims of the land based curriculum are to;
- Enable successful learners; who enjoy learning, make progress and achieve.
- Enable confident individuals; who are able to lead safe, healthy and fulfilling lives.
- Enable responsible citizens; who make a positive contribution to society.
The land based curriculum is structured to ensure that all learners have access to each of the main National Curriculum areas. It ensures that areas of learning are drawn from a wide range of cultures and every day, human experience.
There are three strands integrated in the curriculum delivered at land based. Learners follow individual; vocational, academic and personal social development programmes within the broad curriculum offered. Through these three strands learners are focusing on learning to become;
- Independent enquirers, team workers, self managers, creative thinkers, reflective learners, effective participators, determined, adaptable, confident, risk-taking and enterprising individuals.
- Skilled in literacy, numeracy, ICT, personal learning and thinking skills.
- Knowledgeable and have a good understanding of the big ideas that shape the world.
The Personal Social Development, Vocational and Academic curriculum strands, share a common ground in the achievement of Personal Learning and Thinking Skills objectives; in all learning environments and subjects.
This supports effective differentiation for individual learners.Pupils have the opportunity to assist with the care of a range of farm animals, preparing and maintaining livestock, the movement of animals, accommodation and farm animal health and maintaining safety.Pupils also assist with the maintenance of grass, soil testing and identification, maintaining plants, vegetative propagation of plants and planting and staking a tree.
In Key Stage 4 and Post 16 pupils can then work towards a BTEC level 1 in the land based industries and gain either a certificate or diploma. We have been running our land based course for over ten years and are extremely proud of the successes our students have had over the years.